Sunday, June 21, 2009

On Novel Writing and Love

A recent blog post from lit agency, BookEnds, LLC put me in analogy mode, thinking about the relationship between novel writing and enduring relationships. Don't worry, I'm not writing a romance novel; I'm uniquely unqualified for such a task. Rather, my response to the blog's June 19 topic sparked the idea that writing a novel to the publishing stage shares much in common with maintaining a lasting, loving relationship:


  • The first draft is the "lust" stage of a new relationship.

  • The second draft is the first year of the relationship (but hopefully doesn't take a year to write).

  • The third draft is the "are we in this forever together?" stage.

  • The fourth draft (where I am now on my YA historical sci-fi) is the "holy cr*p, this relationship is hard work to maintain, but it means so much to me that I need to keep working on it. But first, let me take a week off and drink a few Mai Tais in Maui."
Simply put, neither art nor love is the result only of passion; both are the results of HARD work and persistence.

Now, enough blogging. Time to Focus and get back to that 4th draft. Thanks, Amy (my first reader) for your honest, poignant, encouraging comments on the 3rd draft.

Note to family members: If anyone needs clean clothes, there's a pile of them on the sofa in the office.


2 comments:

Amy Moellering said...

What a hilarious photo! So glad you write instead of fold. I enjoyed your third draft and look forward to reading the next one...

Cameron said...

Check out the "stuffed animal" planted on the top of the laundry pile. :)