Thursday, June 18, 2009

It must be summer break if...

It must be summer break if...

  1. I am woken up by a mockingbird at 4:55 a.m. because we left open the window the night before. The Flip Side: Deciding to go to 5 a.m. swim practice to spite the darn bird.
  2. The street is blocked off for our kids’ co-ed baseball games at least three nights a week. The players set up right-field-bleacher seats for the adults in the garage. I love this game: High quality entertainment with free tickets and much lower priced beer.
  3. The toilet overflows for the first time in years. Too many kids in the house.
  4. I attempt to swim laps during a 15-minute adult swim but am interrupted five times – once when a child swatted my feet with a floatation noodle. Warning to Kids: If I only get 15 minutes of adult time a day, you’d better not interrupt me.
  5. I have a hard time figuring out when to get in all my work/writing hours, but don’t care too much about that, this first week. Novel progress: Third draft was read and critiqued this week. Fourth draft due July 14.
  6. My daughter has written more of her books this week than I have of mine. This is OK. Her writing is quite entertaining, with freakishly imaginative characters.
  7. 20% increase in grocery bill. Eat. Sleep. Swim. Eat. Sleep. Swim.
  8. 120% increase in towel-load laundry. Warning to Kids: Unless visibly soiled, if you throw a bath or pool towel in the hamper after only one use, it’ll be hung back up on the racks and you’ll have to figure out whose is whose.

No comments: